Tuesday 28 May 2013

It Begins....


Welcome to Kenya … Have a nice day.

And that was it, a little flourish and the visa was stuck in my passport. I didn't wait to examine it, I was in and off to collect my luggage and find Vicki Chan and Moffat Osoro. Welcome to Kenya indeed.

This may sound crazy… but it looks like Africa. The trip from the airport was exactly what I was expecting, road works, all types of transportation you can possibly imagine, animals and a sea of humanity on the move. The trees were distinctively different and the smell, yes the smells.

I was made to feel very welcome at FreMo and was greeted politely and kindly by everyone. I’m still working on the names but I know I will get there.  If any of you have taken the time to look at the FreMo website or Vicki’s blog it is exactly as it looks.


 The view from the street....


Inside the main corridor...


This is the corridor that takes me to my room. I have to walk down it at an angle or my clothes get caught… it is cement at this end, but rocks at the other end. If I have my backpack on it is difficult.  I call it my room but I have two, and they are separate to FreMo and behind their complex. There are other rooms here, one is for Vicki, another is a FreMo storage… and yet others house whole families in them.  Therefore I feel privileged to have some privacy, as I know I will be retreating here simply to take time out, or for my complete and total sanity’s sake!! After dark, the security man, Eric, walks me here and waits to make sure I am in. He carries a big stick!


My front room....


My bed room...


My LifeStraw Family for filtering the water….. it works really well and tastes good. I do have to carry jugs of water from FreMo’s kitchen to here, but that is OK.



So. Here I am. It feels comfortable; the people of FreMo make it feel familiar. They are good, friendly people doing a hard job in difficult circumstances.  




1 comment: